Positions are filled at different intervals throughout the year. Should a position become available that matches your qualifications. One of our team members will reach out to you via phone call and/or email.
Opportunity Now is a program of the XP Synergy Companies. The Youth Engagement Specialist plays a key role in Opportunity Now’s student behavioral support and mentoring programs. Using strength-based approaches with a trauma-informed lens, specialists are primarily responsible for working with identified students to minimize unbecoming behaviors and help to develop positive outcomes to productivity. Working closely with an interdisciplinary team, consisting of an Area Coordinator, Youth Development Instructors, and Administrative Staff, the Youth Engagement Specialist will incorporate some lessons from the Opportunity Now contextualized curriculum, which allows participants to develop necessary life skills, introduce career options, and expose student to post-secondary options. Specialists provide participants with dynamic, interactive support opportunities in group, classroom, and individual settings. This job offers part-time and full-time hours. Support times normally occur during traditional school hours.
- Establish and maintain safe and engaging learning environments, where students are provided with a balance of support and structure.
- Apply strength-based approaches with a trauma-informed lens to counsel participants in academically and emotionally. Mediate, problem-solve, and coordinate individual services for clients to help them overcome barriers to being a successful student.
- Monitor barriers to students’ active participation and engagement in the classroom, including those related to complex issues in their physical or social environment.
- Provide student with one-on-one academic assistance on an as needed basis.
- Monitor and report students’ attendance benchmarks and progress through a participant observation tool. Report any individual student issues on a weekly basis.
- Follow established policies and procedures for maintaining the integrity of the program with quality support, student discipline, classroom maintenance, safety, behavior management and the security of all individuals and supplies at their disposal.
- Work collaboratively with management and administrative staff to set high and measurable goals for student achievement.
- Adapt mentoring style and strategies to maximize student learning and retention.
- Provide students with professional one-on-one feedback regarding their performance in school including behavior, grades, and attendance.
- Attend all relevant meetings (supervision, staff meetings, case conference sessions, curriculum development, trainings and workshops, etc.).
- Maintain classroom documentation based on assignments from contextualized curriculum and enter data appropriately and accurately, as necessary. This includes but is not limited to goals and career assessments, resume’ worksheets, and cover letters.
- Accurately complete and submit monthly reports and attendance sheets to Program Designee by the last class day of each month.
- Help participants in job seeking, application procedures, resume writing, interview preparation, and job retention skills.
- Develop and maintain relationships with school personnel; coordinate and monitor student progress throughout school year.
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, education, social work or other related field preferred.
- At least 1 year of youth development, social services, or teaching experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Posses a high level of patience and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work with a variety of populations, including at-risk youth and adults, and individuals with disabilities.
- Independent, creative, self-starter who exhibits good judgment.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Highly organized and works well with others.
- Must have reliable transportation
- Microsoft proficient in (Word, Excel)
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $22.50 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Teaching: 1 year (Preferred)
- youth development: 1 year (Preferred)